Ashwagandha, also known as Withania Somnifera, is an ancient herb that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine. It is a natural adaptogen that helps the body manage stress and anxiety. Recently, there has been a growing interest in using ashwagandha for kids, and one of the most popular forms of consumption is through gummies. In this article, we will explore the benefits, risks, and usage of ashwagandha gummies for kids.
What Are Ashwagandha Gummies?
Ashwagandha gummies are a tasty and convenient way to consume the herb. They are typically made by combining ashwagandha extract with other ingredients such as sugar, gelatin, and natural flavors. These gummies come in different shapes, sizes, and flavors, and are marketed for various age groups.
Benefits of Ashwagandha Gummies for Kids
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Ashwagandha has been shown to have anti-anxiety and anti-stress properties, which can be beneficial for kids who experience anxiety or have trouble focusing due to stress. A study conducted on children with ADHD found that ashwagandha improved attention and reduced anxiety.
- Improves Sleep: Ashwagandha has also been shown to improve sleep quality, which can be beneficial for kids who have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. A study conducted on adults found that ashwagandha improved sleep quality and reduced the time it took to fall asleep.
- Boosts Immune System: Ashwagandha has immune-boosting properties that can help strengthen a child’s immune system. This is especially important during the cold and flu season when kids are more susceptible to getting sick.
- Enhances Brain Function: Ashwagandha has been shown to improve cognitive function, memory, and concentration, which can be beneficial for kids who struggle with attention and focus. A study conducted on adults found that ashwagandha improved reaction time and memory.
Risks of Ashwagandha Gummies for Kids
- May Interact with Medications: Ashwagandha may interact with certain medications, including thyroid hormone, blood sugar-lowering medications, and sedatives. Parents should consult with their child’s healthcare provider before giving them ashwagandha gummies.
- May Cause Allergic Reactions: Some kids may be allergic to ashwagandha or the other ingredients in the gummies. Parents should be aware of any allergic reactions, such as hives or difficulty breathing, and stop use immediately if they occur.
- May Cause Digestive Issues: Ashwagandha may cause digestive issues, such as diarrhea or upset stomach, in some kids. Parents should start with a small dose and monitor their child for any adverse reactions.
How to Use Ashwagandha Gummies for Kids
- Follow Recommended Dosage: Parents should follow the recommended dosage on the label or as advised by their child’s healthcare provider. It is important not to exceed the recommended dose.
- Choose Quality Products: Parents should choose high-quality ashwagandha gummies that are made by reputable manufacturers. They should also read the label and ensure that the gummies do not contain any harmful ingredients.
- Monitor for Adverse Reactions: Parents should monitor their child for any adverse reactions, especially when introducing ashwagandha gummies for the first time. If any adverse reactions occur, they should stop use immediately.
Ashwagandha gummies can be a beneficial way to supplement a child’s diet and improve their overall health and well-being. However, it is important for parents to understand the potential risks and to use ashwagandha gummies for kids responsibly. It is also important to note that ashwagandha gummies should not be used as a replacement for any prescribed medication or treatment.
Parents should consult with their child’s healthcare provider before introducing ashwagandha gummies, especially if their child has any underlying medical conditions or is taking any medications. It is also important to follow the recommended dosage and to monitor for any adverse reactions.
Is it time to get your child their first phone? Check out Troomi.